EDUCATION: Tracy Ginsberg
San Francisco Art Institute, CA BFA Painting 1996.
Pilchuck School, Seattle, WA Summer Program 1994.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI BA Literature 1993.
EDUCATION: Theodore Lillie
San Francisco Art Institute, CA BFA Photography 1997.
Solar Living Institute, Hopland, CA Entry Level NABCEP Certification 2009.
RENATURE, Photo-Murals for Alexander Payne treehouse, Los Angeles, CA, 2018.
Green Tara, Forest Alchemy, Woodacre, CA, 2018.
GROW LOVE, Centennial Park, Nashville, TN, 2017.
Peace Pagoda Project, Japantown Park, San Francisco, 2016.
HOME, ArtPrize, Van Andel Institute, Grand Rapids, MI, 2010.
Creatrix with Red Poppies, Mina Dresden Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2010.
Rainbow Tara: Color Coded, National Equality March, Capitol West Lawn, Washington D.C., 2009.
Beyond Movement Moving Beyond, Rose Wagner Center for the Performing Arts, Salt Lake City, UT, 2008.
Making No Making, Mina Dresden Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2008.
Chaos Theory, Mina Dresden Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2007.
Viriditas, SPUR Projects, Portola Valley, CA, 2007.
Assembled Life, Smith Andersen North, San Anselmo, CA, 2007.
Trilateral Pyramid-Green Tara Ascending, Burning Man, Black Rock Desert, 2007.
Revolution Revelation, GEN Art, Ignite!, San Francisco, CA, 2006.
Homage to the 21 Taras, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art: Sessions, San Francisco, CA, 2006.
Red Music Blue Morning: Paintings, The American Artisan, Nashville, TN, 2006.
Forest Alchemy, Fulcrum Projects, Woodacre, CA, 2006.
Homage to the 21 Taras, CounterPULSE, San Francisco, CA, 2005.
Flags, Fulcrum Projects, Woodacre, CA, 2005.
Anthem, Boathouse Gallery, San Francisco, 2002.
Introductions, Toomey-Tourell Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2000.
SuperNatural, Edo Space, San Francisco, CA, 2000.
Pura Vida, Riley Hawk Gallery, Cleveland, OH, 1996.
Manifest Density, San Francisco Art Institute, Diego Rivera Gallery, 1996.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
Pro Arts, Free Utopian Society, Oakland, CA 2013.
The San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art, Annual Auction Exhibition, 2012
San Francisco Art Institute, Diego Rivera Gallery, Faculty Show, 2012.
Feminine Mystique, Mina Dresden Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2011.
The Right of Return, Bobcat Ballet, SOMArts Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA 2010.
Process, Mina Dresden Gallery, San Francisco, CA 2007.
Forest Alchemy, Fulcrum Projects, Marin County, CA 2006.
IGNITE!, Gen Art, Ignite!, San Francisco, CA 2006.
Visual Aid Auction, Toomey- Tourell Gallery, San Francisco, CA 2002.
Couture for the Cure, Toomey- Tourell Gallery, San Francisco, CA 1999.
At Mother’s Knees, Matrix Arts, Sacramento, CA 1999.
Icons of the Mind, Museum of Arts Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 1998.
Art for the Empowerment of Women, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 1998.
A Spoonful of Sugar, Southern Exposure, San Francisco, CA 1998.
Eighth National Juried Exhibition, Viridian Artists Inc., New York, NY 1997.
International Exhibition of Women’s Art, SOHO 20, New York, NY 1997.
ANA 26, Holter Museum of Art, Helena, MO 1997.
Gallery 3, Gallery 3, San Francisco, CA 1997.
Spring Show, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA 1997.
Fifth Vague Art Exhibition, Eleven East Ashland, Phoenix, AZ 1996.
SFAI Selected Paintings, Fort Mason Center, San Francisco, CA 1996.
Spring Show, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA 1996.
VISITING FACULTY, San Francisco Art Institute, Spring Semester 2012.
Ginsberg-Lillie co-wrote and co-taught EcoLogic: Photographic Approach, Theory and Practice. The curriculum examines ecological ideology and methodology as it applies to interdisciplinary photography.
Rainbow Tara: Color Coded: A site-specific, interactive live art work performed at the National Equality March in Washington DC, October 11, 2009 in support of full marriage equality for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Americans.
Creative direction and visual art by Tracy Ginsberg; Choreography by Javier Cordoba and Oscar Trujillo, Music by Tracy Ginsberg and DJ BLove, Performance by Javier Cordoba, Heather Doyle, Freddy Pacheco and Oscar Trujillo; Color Coded by Ed and Linda Calhoun; Audio Technical direction by Theodore Lillie. With performances at the street march and the Capitol Reflecting Pond, painted bodies manifest the iconic rainbow. Each body is printed with Tara images and selected code words from state marriage statutes. Original score includes code words and lines from Elizabeth Alexander’s poem “Praise Song for the Day,” read at the inaugural address on the Capitol West Lawn; “what if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national, love that casts a widening pool of light, love with no need to preempt grievance.”
Forest Alchemy: A multidisciplinary, site-specific, interactive show with sculpture, installation, video and performance exhibited in the forest; painting, drawing and photography on view in the breezeway gallery. Viewers hike along a two-mile loop on a narrative and meditative art trail winding through woods, meadows and valleys. Forest Alchemy features eight Bay Area artists including Tommy Becker- video and performative installation, Leo Bersamina- painting and earthwork, Bruce Chaban- sculpture, Tracy Ginsberg- painting, sculpture and installation with performance, Theodore Lillie- photography and sculpture, Terry Mason- sculpture, Nellie King Solomon- painting, Oscar Trujillo- performance and artist in residence. Forest Alchemy was curated and produced by Tracy Ginsberg and Theodore Lillie, 2006.
Altars to the Mother: Series of site-specific, time-based earth works created in natural habitats using only found materials including sand, twigs, algae, moss, coral, flowers, shells, seeds, nuts, leaves, plants, water. Installation sites include California, Florida, Hawaii, Mexico, Virgin Island, Thailand, 2003 to present.
Urban Odes: Series of graffiti and poster art insertions. Materials include moss paint, oil paint, silkscreen, spray paint, photographs and wheat paste. Installation sites include California and New York, 2002-present.
HONOR AND AWARDS
- Viridian Artists Inc. Juror: Thelma Golden
- SOHO 20 Juror: Claire Belle
- ANA 26 Juror: Jane Quick-to-See Smith
- San Francisco Art Commission Cultural Equity Grant, 1997, SEEPP.
- Bank of America Culture and the Arts Grant, 1997, SEEPP.
- C-Platform, Lucitopia Press, Xiamen, China, January, 2019.
- Have Car Will Adventure, Kevin Sintumuang, Esquire Magazine “Big Book” Winter, 2018.
- American Artisan Festival Returns to Centennial Park, John Pitcher, Nashville Arts Magazine, June 2017.
- Event is Easy Going…Mostly, by Jeffrey Kaczmarczyk, The Grand Rapids Press, September 23, 2010.
- ArtPrize® Contestants Pledge Support for Cancer Research, Van Andel Insitute Newsletter, Van Andel Institute Newsletter, September, 22, 2010.
- The Nervous Breakdown, February 2010
- 5 Mined Fields – Joshua Hagler interviews Tracy Ginsberg, San Francisco, August 2007.
- Vision and Visuals, Joshua Hagler, Process at Mina Dresden, September 2007.
- Working Artist – Intersection of Art and Nature, by Christine Brenneman, Marin Independent Journal, Thursday September 7, 2006.
- Hot Dates: Into the Woods, 7×7 August Issue, San Francisco, CA 2006.
- Plank State, by Tracy Ginsberg and Theodore Lillie, ReadyMade, Issue 23, Berkeley, CA 2006.
- Barn Stormers, by Lili Weigert, ReadyMade, Issue 23, Berkeley, CA 2006.
- Home on the Range, by Tracy Ginsberg, ReadyMade, Issue 22, Berkeley, CA 2006.
- Critic’s Picks, by Jack Silverman, Nashville Scene, April 2006.
- Bush: Five Interventions, by Tracy Ginsberg, Maverick Magazine Issue #13, San Francisco, CA 2006.
- Goddess Calls, by Anne Baird, Amaze Magazine, Spring Issue, New York, NY 2006.
- Women’s Views – Four artists capture motherhood and sexuality in strong show, by Victoria Dalkey, The Sacramento Bee Sunday May 16, 1999.
- Forest Alchemy: Tracy Ginsberg, Creative Director and Theodore Lillie, Technical Director. Forest Alchemy is an interdisciplinary live art company producing interactive, site-specific exhibitions exploring shifting paradigms in consciousness and culture. Founded in San Francisco 2002, Forest Alchemy is now headquartered in Woodacre, West Marin County, California.
- Original art and design for UN Millennium goals at Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington DC.
- Original art and design for The Business of Being Born, film produced by Ricki Lake and directed by Abby Epstein. Born Free Butterfly Moby Wrap and Born Free Onesie.
- Toyota- Advisory Board for Future Interactive team, panel for creative innovation and design, Creative Integration, San Francisco, 2011.
- Rudolph Steiner School, Media Presentation on Nature and Art, 2012.
- ReadyMade Magazine: Contributing Artist and Writer for Issues 22 and 23. Projects/articles include print making techniques and projects, modular deck design and building project, and feature story on Forest Alchemy, 2006.
- Forest Alchemy Design- Commissions include custom paintings and photographs, functional art and furniture, pillows with photographs or silk-screens,Tree House Design and Construction; Home Renovation and Interiors. Costume design, custom wedding, formal, evening, Limited edition T-shirts silk-screened with original drawings for women/men/children. Green projects include photovoltaic systems and solar thermal solutions; landscape design and edible gardens; trail design and construction.
- Poster art for CounterPULSE
- Label art for “Hebrew, the Chosen Beer”.
- Photographer and Image Production for Branders.com, Foster City, CA, 1999-2002.
- Photographer’s Assistant for Dennis Hearne, 1997-1999.
- Co-Director: SEEPP, Self Exploration and Expression through Painting and Poetry. Art program for teens at the Ella Hill Hutch Community Center. Funded with grants from the San Francisco Art Commission and the Bank of America Culture and the Arts, 1997.
- Art Teacher: The Project School, Hayward CA 1997, Marin Jewish Community Center- in house mural 1997, New Traditions Elementary School- after school art program sponsored by the San Francisco Art Institute where students created a 70 foot mobile and an interactive, musical, art installation for their school and families.
- Artist Assistant: Thurman Statom, Painting and Installation at William Travers Gallery in Seattle, WA, 1994.
- Arts Writer/Graphic Illustrator: The Michigan Daily; Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1992-93.